|The attenuation coefficient measures the degree of attenuation of a
The calculation of gamma-ray attenuation by matter is
- assessing the effectiveness of shielding, and
- to correct for self absorption within sources.
Both calculations require the attenuation coefficient (m).
The attenuation coefficient is the summation of:
- the photoelectric absorption coefficient;
- the Compton scattering coefficient;
- the pair production coefficient, and
- other scattering coefficients.
This section contains the following topics:
Build up factor