Slow neutron reactions
- These are reactions where a neutron is absorbed and a charged
- Examples include (n, a) and (n, p).
Fast neutron reactions
- More common than slow neutron reactions.
- Cross sections are small and there is generally little effect on
- However, there can be quite significant amounts of radioactive
activation products produced by (n, p) and (n, a)
reactions in reactor construction materials, which ultimately affect
waste inventories and hence the cost of decommissioning.
3He (n, p) 3H Qa
= 5327 barns
10B (n, a) 7Li